Walk your dog 10 steps and stop:
1. My dog was looking at me, so he knew I stopped. He stopped to before taking the slack out of the leash
2. My dog didn’t know I stopped until he ran out of leash, but then he stopped and came back to me
3. My dog didn’t know I stopped until he ran out of leash and then he continued to pull
While walking your dog say his name several times:
1. As soon as I said my dog’s name he looked up at me and stayed focused on me for at least 5 Seconds afterwards.
2. When I said my dog’s name he continued to pull, but he did look back at me. The glance back was only for a second.
3. My dog didn’t have a response to his name, maybe he’s deaf.
Walk 10 steps and then change directions repeat this two times:
1. My dog knew I was going to turn before I even turned, because he was already paying attention.
2. My dog wasn’t ready for the first turn, but was paying attention and ready for the second turn.
3. My dog wasn’t ready for either turn, he was already pulling and distracted by the time we were done turning.
Dogs that earned mostly ones:
Congratulations, you’ve got a job who is great on leash. This is the type of dog you can walk while holding a cup of coffee. Many dog owners dream of owning a dog like yours.
Dogs that are earned mostly twos:
Your dog has some great skills. Your dog may occasionally pull hard for the most part you can enjoy walking your dog unless a big distraction pops up like a rabbit or squirrel. With just a little bit of training your dog will be an All-Star.
Dogs that earned mostly threes:
Your dog is a bit of a party animal. He’s looking for fun and he’s highly distracted. Consider getting in front clip no pull harness to use for the first few weeks of training. You may want to start practicing your loose leash walking in the house or in the backyard for a few days before you take it outdoors.
Follow our loose leash walking tips Wednesday on our Facebook page. Exercise each week. If you follow along your dogs will have great loose leash walking skills in no time.